Tour the Locks!
Participate in living history with a tour of the locks!
Try your hand at opening the giant lock doors!
Be a lock tender for a day!
Tour groups can plan an outing to tour one or more of the locks on the Fox River to get a first-hand look at this historic attraction. Just as they did in the 1850s, locks are opened by a hand crank (it’s not hard!) that opens the valves to level out the water in the channel and the lock. Your school or group can watch as the water fills the lock and the massive gates open to let boats through. Tours include:
- Personalized tour guide with a lock tender for up to two hours
- A brief overview of lock history and operations
- Demonstration of the lock gates opening
- Tour of the lock (please remember, these are outdoors)
- Opportunities to open the lock gates
Tours are not held during winter months and must be booked in advance. Locks on the tour include those with pedestrian access in DePere, Appleton’s four locks, and Little Chute