Lock System Overview
We have preserved the heritage of one of the nation’s most unique transportation systems—the Fox River lock system. The locks are a gateway to the vibrant downtowns, attractions, and quaint small towns along the banks of the river. The system links Lake Winnebago to the Fox River Valley, through the Bay of Green Bay to the ports of the Great Lakes—and through the St. Lawrence Seaway to anywhere in the world!
For a daytrip or a vacation explore the locks!
- Public welcome! Watch living history in action at the locks in De Pere, Little Chute, or Appleton’s lock 4 at Riverheath.
- Kayak and canoe portages available at many of the individual locks.
- To purchase a day pass for only $10 or a season pass, please visit this link. Remember, passes may only be purchased online.
- Explore via boat and tie up at many public docks at several locks and boat launches to explore the picturesque towns.
- Hike miles of public trails connecting the locks with area parks and downtowns.
- Tie up at area locks and access Appleton’s vibrant downtown with shops, restaurants, museums and more!
- Sample the charming ethnic heritage of regional towns: Dutch, Irish, German and French cultures come to life in local events and cuisine!
Most of the 17 locks were originally installed in the mid-1800s to transport Wisconsin goods to market via the waterway, and recent efforts have restored the operation of the locks opening large portions of the Fox River to full navigation. Visitors can enjoy the locks and watch the lock tenders open and close the locks or visit nearby trails, parks and picnic areas at most of the locks. Use this site as a guide for navigating the lock system by water or by land.
The system of locks covers 39 miles and drops in elevation 168 feet—a vertical drop equal in height to the total drop of Niagara Falls. Kaukauna features the steepest drop in elevation: a drop of 50.4 feet in just over one mile.
Please note that a lock’s phone (and voicemail) is only monitored during its operating hours.
|Kaukauna||920-455-9174||1008 Augustine St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Menasha||n/a||82 Broad St||Menasha||54952|
|Appleton #1||920-750-3306||951 S. Olde Oneida St||Appleton||54915|
|Appleton #2||n/a||914 S. Olde Oneida St||Appleton||54915|
|Appleton #3||n/a||810 S. Lawe St||Appleton||54915|
|Appleton #4||920-750-3307||1090 E. Banta Ct||Appleton||54915|
|Cedars||920-750-3309||1169 W. Main St||Little Chute||54140|
|Little Chute Guard||n/a||200 Mill St||Little Chute||54140|
|Little Chute||n/a||200 Mill St||Little Chute||54140|
|Combined||920-809-2189||205 Sanitorium Road||Little Chute||54140|
|Kaukauna Guard||n/a||157 Wisconsin Ave||Kaukauna||54130|
|Kaukauna #1||920-202-1855||701 Canal St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Kaukauna #2||n/a||950 Augustine St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Kaukauna #3||n/a||1008 Augustine St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Kaukauna #4||n/a||1200 Augustine St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Kaukauna #5||n/a||1750 Augustine St||Kaukauna||54130|
|Rapide Croche||920-809-3299||N2205 Lock Road||Kaukauna||54130|
|Little Rapids||920-227-7043||1856 Little Rapids Road||De Pere||54115|
|De Pere||920-227-7043||195 James St||De Pere||54115|