The Locks / Cedars

signage_cedarsThis Lock welcomes you to the “Heart of the Valley,” a collection of small villages dotting the river all with strong ethnic roots, hometown pride, and some of the best Wisconsin supper clubs! The Cedars Lock, located in the village of Little Chute, derives its name from the Treaty of the Cedars which took place on the west bank of the Fox River near the lock site in 1836. Under this historic treaty, the Menominee ceded 4,000,000 acres of land to the United States government for a total of $7,000,000. The Menominee Nation, which had called this land home for 5,000 years, agreed to move west of the Wolf River. With this treaty the United States now owned all the land surrounding the Fox River and could begin to populate and develop the river.

Street Address: 1169 W. Main St., Little Chute, WI  54140

General Information

Latitude: 44.279912
Longitude: -88.331704
Opened Date: 1856
Rebuilt Date: 1880-1890, 2007
Construction: Quarry stone masonry, concrete caps, wood gates

Lock Dimensions

144 feet x 35 feet
Sill Depth - 6 feet
Lift - 9.8 feet

Hours of Operation

Locks are usually open weekends Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. Please check this page and our Facebook page for updates on the 2023 navigation season.